Veronika,

Excellent analysis, pictures, and discussion! (What are you using for your
diagrams? Inkscape?) At the end of the discussion on your website, you
commented about whether the pattern will show up in bobbin lace, and it
occurred to me that perhaps adding some extra twists and crosses
judiciously in the body of the area, not just at the edges, might product a
well-defined pattern (although based on but not really a proper twill, of
course). This may be irrelevant since the question was initially about
doing classic weaving in the cloth-stitch areas of bobbin lace, but I
thought I'd offer it as a tangent, since it might produce some interesting
patterns when combined with your method of producing a twill.

All,

The other thing that occurs to me, as another tangent, is that a different
form of weaving would lend itself to bobbin lace: tablet weaving (in the US
often called card weaving) produces a warp-faced fabric with pairs of
threads twisted around each other above and below the weft. I think the
bobbin lace version would be easy to produce since twisting the 'warp'
threads is easy, but unless lots of 'warp' threads were added at the start
of the solid area, one would get a much more open weave with lots of 'weft'
showing.

Just some random thoughts.

Nancy