Gina writes: I taught myself, starting with The Torchon Lace Workbook by
Bridget Cook. I'm attempting to teach myself Beds from books and from
Christine Springett's Beds video series. I have to say, Beds has been more
challenging than the Torchon was. I'm still taking baby steps :) I'd love
to have the help of a teacher, but the IOLI only lists 2 lace instructors
in the entire state of Florida, and both of them are 5+ hours away from me.
It comes down to necessity sometimes, having no other options than books
and videos.

Actually, I found the Springett videos to be a very satisfying experience.
I did have a young child at the time, but I made my husband take her to the
pool while I worked on them. Of course they were VHS, so I doubt I could
even manage to play them now. I haven't used a tape player in years.  I
wonder if there is a single video/DVD already made that is the best
introduction?  Of course, these technologies go out of use so quickly, does
suggesting a DVD make sense? Carolyn is suggesting we make youtubes. Should
the IOLI consider making a series of youtubes in order to encourage bobbin
lace making? If they did this, at least they could introduce people who
might later go to the convention to the way things are typically done in
the US.
By the way, Gina, if you were to go to the IOLI convention you could take a
very concentrated Beds course taught by Elizabeth Peterson and you could
take it 6 hours a day for 4 days, meaning 24 hours of instruction. You
could really make a huge stride in Beds in a single week.
Devon