Speaking as a relative newcomer to bobbin Lace, I think if I were going to
teach a newbie, I would start with a tape lace. Lynx lace.com has good
introductory lessons. This lace type presents the basic stitches, sewing,
rounding a curve, edge stitches but only uses a small number of bobbins. Also I
would stay away from very fine thread to start. #8 Perle cotton would be good
for a beginner. Once they do a couple patterns they could move on to whatever
style appeals to them.

Jean Reardon
Western Pennsylvania