Hi Adele,

That does sound like an oversize lady’s handkerchief, even today. My ‘antique’
hankies are far smaller, less than half the dimensions including significant
amounts of lace.

As for the wedding part of it, I was not aware of any such tradition until I
emigrated and found local lacemakers. It is not something that played any part
of any wedding I went to or heard about. Before anyone contradicts me, I would
explain that I come from peasant stock almost entirely from East Anglia in
England so cannot comment about other regions or more posh weddings. Then
again, I have no recollection of wedding handkerchiefs being mentioned during
any of the British royal weddings either. As a cynic, I would suggest that the
wedding tag was to attract extra attention to the piece :-/

I would be interested in reading about the experiences in other parts of the
world as well as identification of Adele’s treasure.

Regards, Helen in Adele’s part of the world