Hi Brian
Honiton lace comprised of motifs that were either connected together by
‘brides’ or mounted onto a net ground for making up into the finished
article, so perhaps the term lace sewer is referring to the women whose job
this was?

The term lace worker may have been used interchangeably for either the lace
maker or the lace sewer? During my own research of villages within a 10 mile
radius and across the range of the different census years I found that the
terms lace maker, lace weaver and lace worker were used, but that which one
depended very much upon the individual enumerator. I found that each was
consistent in their use of term throughout their recording. I also found that
a woman described as a lace worker in one census might well be described by
one of the alternatives in a subsequent census again depending on who the
enumerator was. There is usually a page for each district that states who the
enumerator was, some enumerators covered more than one district and some did
the job for more than one census year.

Nicky H-T  in Suffolk UK