Hi Roberta,

Firstly I have written an article "What is it made of"  on Web docs.  It is
pretty detailed.  ( avoid the destructive tests)
https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/lb_matrl.pdf  Find my
name by scrolling then find the article (others know easier ways!!)

I wrote that a long time ago, it is still valid, but what I do is look for a
"Grain" on ivory as opposed to lines and perhaps holes in bone. I could add
look for a proper, nice grain.  Bone marks are crude lines and rough
compared with the nice grain finish and look of ivory. I often use a
magnifying glass.

That will be a good start.  Once you find some real ivory and looked at it
carefully the difference between it and bone will be comparatively easy.

Best guess is to assume that all bobbins are bone... there are but few
exceptions.

I hope that is helpful

Regards
Brian