I recall pompously getting on my hobby horse and telling you that I was not
going to accept the invitation to write a lace biography of Marian Powys
(Lace and Lace Making) for the Powys Society Journal.

The truth is that I really meant it as I hate academic writing probably
because I did my Masters by Research and had to write a 90,000-word thesis
(Nursing Ethics)  That would put anyone off the academic genre of writing!

However, the editor wrote me a very clever letter commiserating with me but
wrote a wonderful paragraph talking about the important information I was
depriving the Lace Community of [that is a split infinitive. sorry,] and the
Powys Society as a whole.  Well, I think that was a great exaggeration and
flattering too.  so I gave in! frown

All my hifalutin principles went into the bin!

I agreed and currently, it is being edited, I hope for the next issue of the
Powys Journal (Sometime in your summer I believe).

It was fascinating to research and indeed she has a lace biography that
equals the literary prowess of her brothers.  It is fascinating and I hope
that I will have shown the Powysians that she was not "just a lacemaker"
(and writer).

The above shows what an unprincipled guy I am (Masters in Ethics or not!)

When it is published I plan to write a non-academic version for web docs and
allow myself some personal comments and thoughts about her that will not
need to be referenced!

I need to say that whilst I have been cooperating with the editing of the
article I have not had a formal acceptance of it!! So it is still fingers
crossed.

I also will be publicly acknowledging the help I have received by at least
half a dozen lacemakers in the UK and the USA.  They are great detectives
and more importantly all lace makers, not like me, "just a woodturner"!
(Oh, and a clavichord maker. my latest project. [sorry editor.. off topic])

So beware of my "big mouth"!

Brian

  _____

.