What an interesting conversation about the strange lace piece I have
encountered. Jo Ann believes it is needle lace. I think that is
understandable as you could achieve this effect or something like it with
needle weaving, as in Halas lace. But, the fact that the tape can
transition seamlessly into a plait based structure, see first photo, makes
me think it is bobbin lace. I think the long tapes are made the way we make
tallies. They look like tallies in that they are “weft faced”, namely the
warp is totally covered by the weft or worker thread. (Linen stitch is a
double weft weave, two threads going back and forth. The tally is single
weft, one thread is going back and forth)

The piece in the Smithsonian that Karen draws our attention to is
fantastic, a real tour de force in this technique. Again, I am questioning
whether it might be needle woven, but it too has plait based sections.
While the bird has parts that look like tallies, weft faced, it also has
areas that look like a very even weave. Are these made the same way as the
tally tapes? In tallies you are constantly tensioning and pressuring the
worker to compact. I guess you could do the same movements, but without the
extreme tensioning in order to create the impact of a woven fabric.

It was this fabric type effect that caused me to think about the flower pot
lace that I posted next on Ning. This is a piece with both the compacted
tally type tape and also a more even weave type of tape. These transition
into bobbin lace grounds effortlessly in this piece as well.

The final piece that I posted was one with three flowers made in tally
technique. This one even has a pair, or sometimes a braid which migrates
through the tally to other tallies.

Returning to the bird piece that Karen drew our attention to, I am
enthralled by this portion of it where an even weave worked like a curved
tally separates at the eye hole, and turns into a Giant Plait before
turning into a pointed tally in the beak.

I am including a photo of the very old piece that was made with tapes and
motifs which were all plaited, or woven diagonally, or whatever you want to
call it. (I call it a Giant Plait.)

Kim’s insight that the elongated tally may be a very old way of making
tapes seems very likely. Karen’s piece illustrates the incredible skill of
the old lacemakers as they move through these various structures. These
were classified as bobbin lace.

I have posted photos to go with this on
http://laceioli.ning.com/group/identification-history

I am still confused about how you would be tensioning such long tallies,
let alone the woven areas, since it does not appear that there are pin
holes. Any insights would be appreciated.

Devon