The photos are posted at
http://laceioli.ning.com/group/identification-history

I have been looking at some mezzo punto. Mezzo punto is made using a
premade tape, laying it in a shape, then filling and embellishing it with
needle lace stitches. Based on previous Arachne conversations I had been
going on the theory that the premade tapes were made using a small loom and
represented a time saving effort. That made sense when the tape looked like
that in the first photo. But, during today’s examination I realized that
the tape which looked like a warp faced weave was actually a diagonal weave
(second photo). Continuing my examination, I found another piece where the
tape looked like it might even be different than the other two. (third
photo) This one seemed to have diagonal and horizontal lines causing me to
wonder about Laura’s enticing reference to compressed half stitch.

I think the diagonal weave (2) may be in many other pieces. But how was
this made? Is the only way to make it with bobbins? This seems very time
consuming, but people did consume a lot of time back in the 17th century
doing things like that. Thinking about Kim’s observations about braiding, I
looked at a book on braiding and realized it might be possible to make a
diagonal looking flat tape with a kumihimo device or a square device,
possibly tablet (or card) weaving. Would this be faster than with bobbins?

I also found some discussion about making braid on something called a
“trollen wheel”, but this seems to be a discredited concept.

Thoughts?

Devon