I thought the same at first. Then I realized that all this “rare technique
dating back” and “in danger of disappearing” talk is just the author, punching
up her story. She has seen the workrooms and all the young people making this
lace; and knows these phrases aren’t exactly true, but that those are the
exotic details InStyle and its readers want. I'm glad they showed the work
being done, and I would not be surprised if lots of people took up lacemaking
based on the article.

I thought right away about making similar flowers and decorating a top or
something! I did see a butterfly in one of the photos, too. I’m not that fond
of the flowers seen in the article, but there are lots of other possibilities.
I have to thank the article (and Sue, for bringing it to our attention) for
reminding me of what can be done with fairly simple patterns.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)