I have just finished reading a new book called The Girls with No Name by
Serena Burdick. The novel is based on some facts about the House of Mercy, in
New York that was run by Catholic nuns for "fallen women".  I had heard of
the Catholic laundries in Ireland where women worked basically as slaves which
came to light a number of years ago and they were held responsible for it.
 According to the Afterwword, that never happened in America so I was
ignorant that the same thing had happened  over here.  Usually I don't
bother to read the Afterword at the end of a novel but came across a paragraph
that I thought was interesting.
Quote: These socially acceptable establishments imprisoned, abused and
enslaves women and children while the church made millions from their laundry
service and lace making.
There was no mention of lace making in the novel and I wonder if that happened
at the House of Mercy and Inwood House, also in NY.  Maybe some of our local
lacemakers in NY have heard about that aspect of it. I almost cried at the end
of the book, and I don't get emotional.
Janice

Janice Blair Murrieta, CA, jblace.com