"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."I remember getting the names of lace
suppliers from the backs of lacemaking books.  That's how I found Holly van
Sciver, among others.  I had been making lace, off and on as life allowed, for
15 years before I met another lacemaker.  I had been making lace for 20 years
before I went to a lace day, invited by Holly.  With the advent of the
internet, all that became much easier.  I found a 'local' lace group, all sorts
of lacemakers, a number of suppliers, local lacemakers.  I went to my first
lace day where I took a class 25 years after I started making lace.  Before
that I neither had the time nor the money to get to a laceday.  Now googling
'bobbin lace' gets all sorts of resources.  I can find lacemakers and sites to
view lace all over the world by going online.  With the internet I am part of a
global community of like minded people.

I still remember my beginnings as a lacemaker who qualified for food stamps.
While lace making is not a route to wealth, or even much income, it gives great
pleasure.  Nothing can take away from getting together with lacemakers in
person, for Americans usually monthly with the lace group and lace days and
conventions.  Lace days and conventions can easily be beyond what the budget
will allow.  With online classes, talks, meetings, all sorts of things can open
up.  People disabled, whose maturity makes it difficult to travel, whose budget
doesn't allow for airfare and hotel rooms to take a particular class, online
meetings, classes, can provide these people at least some of the joy healthier
and more well endowed people spend their discretionary income on.

With the advent of online classes, which probably will be fine tuned as we get
in the swing of them, many more will have access to teachers, meetings, and the
joys of lacemaking will spread.

Lyn from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where we are having a lovely early fall
day.  Leaves are still green, short sleeves still work, but shorts instead of
trousers are optional.