Hi Arachnids

Another aspect regarding hand carved bobbins. If they were made purely for
financial reasons they may have had little value to others and been thrown
out, only bobbins of higher value being kept. How many of us now even pass on
hand made clothes and they have no resale value but in a 100 years or so they
may be collectors items.  Some bobbins may have had sentimental value and so
been passed down through families. There may have been many hand carved
bobbins, I expect turned ones were very expensive in the late 16th and 17th
centuries and even through the 18th and 19th. In the 1980s I had a student who
carved all her own bobbins, she enjoyed working with wood, and I had several
others who were not sufficiently affluent to buy bobbins when they started
their lacemaking and started using bobbins carved from dowel. I doubt if
anyone would have been interested in keeping these when the lacemakers
retired.

Thank you to all involved in keeping Arachne running and sending in messages.
Arachne keeps us in touch and adds interest to our days in these difficult
times.

Alex