Dear All,
As we approach St. Catherine's Day again, this time with solo dining on
Cattern Cakes, I thought I would mention what I have been up to and to
solicit your suggestions.
After the three successful talks given during the International
Organization of Lace's virtual convention, we decided to embark on a
speaker program in which, ideally, we would hear via Zoom  from a speaker
each month. The talks are available to IOLI members. (Digital membership
$30) This month the speaker is David Hopkin who will talk about Lacemakers'
Feastdays and Holidays, including St Catherine's Day.
In October we had Fiona Harrington and Norma Owen speak about the Headford
Lace Project and about The Space Between, a contemporary lace exhibit
sponsored by the Headford Lace Project. Previously, Dagmar
Beckel-Machyckova spoke about Czech lace, especially contemporary lace, and
her own design process. The speakers at the UnCon included Pierre Fouche
who spoke about his unique lace art, Maire Treanor who spoke about Irish
Crochet Lace, and Elena Kanagy-Loux who spoke about her grant financed trip
to 13 European lace centers to study lace.
I was wondering if Arachne members could alert me to any good speakers or
talks that they know of, or topics that they find to be interesting enough
to have as part of the virtual speakers series.
Devon