Dear Arachnids,

I hope you're all staying warm and cozy today (it's snowy here on the east
coast)!

As always I've been doing research on lace of the Tudor period for a
variety of projects and I've been compiling some favorite quotes (just for
fun!). Here are some well-known favorites from the period that you've
probably read:

Phillip Stubbes on the topic of lace ruffs in 1583:
“They trick up these cartwheels of the devil’s [chariot] of pride,
leading
the direct way to the dungeon of hell.”

Thomas Fuller, 1662
"Let [lace] not be condemned for a superfluous wearing; for it doth neither
hide not heat, seeing it doth adorn... Lace [costs] nothing save a little
thread descanted upon by art and industry."

Thomas Tomkis on ladies getting dressed, 1607

“There is such doing with their looking glasses, pinning, unpinning,
setting, unsetting, formings and conforming, painting blue veins and
cheeks; such a stir with sticks and combs… puffs, ruffs, cuffs, muffs… a
ship is sooner rigged by far, than a gentlewoman made ready.”

I wish there were more quotes on what women of the period thought about
lace! Anyway, if you have any favorite quotes about lace, contemporary or
historical, I'd love to hear them. :)

Best Wishes, Elena