I looked through the book Elena linked. It has pre-Colombian examples of
bobbin lace,also, which reminded me of a post on Facebook Lacemakers a while
back by Arlene Scaroni who is working on replicating lace found in Native
American mounds in Oklahoma. I believe it was similar to netting, used for
holding pottery. She demonstrates a technique where the bobbin threads hang on
a structure rather than working on a flat surface. If I remember right, she
suggests it’s possible early European explorers learned the technique from
the indigenous people and took the knowledge back to Europe.

An IOLI.lecture from the doily free zone creator, however, mentioned a recent
discovery of bobbin lace in a European grave from the early 1400s, though more
details won’t be available until a study is published. I guess that would
negate the Western Hemisphere first theory. But we’re learning more all the
time about ancient travels, so who knows.It's  interesting to contemplate.

I did not trim the message below to keep the context & link and because it’s
short.
Jean Reardon, western Pennsylvania