Your story of linen spinners sounds terribly familiar - I learned to spin
because I wanted to create the devastatingly fine wool yarn for a "proper"
wedding ring shawl, and it is equally difficult to get wool spun that
finely. I haven't done it - yet - but at least I do keep spinning more
utilitarian yarn. My brief foray into linen spinning went much as yours
seems to have :)

I use Bockens almost exclusively, 60/2, 60/3, and 100/2 all on a fairly
regular basis and have not had many slubs. I did buy large reels of them
several years ago, however, so if your thread is of recent manufacture, my
experience may not be relevant.

Chris - who has been more knitting lace than bobbin tossing recently, but
it's all good :)