On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Steven White <koala19...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Wikipedia Pinyin Chinese
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Chinese_%28Pinyin%29_2>
> (coded for now as cmn, Mandarin Chinese): Here's a proposal that I think
> needs some serious discussion. Please read the discussion on the linked
> Meta page.
>
> *Arguments against:*
>
>    - No separate ISO 639-3 language code
>    - It is proposed that this can be handled with a script converter, per
>    (for example) T193366 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193366>.
>    - One respondent objected to such a project taking manpower away from
>    other Chinese-language projects.
>

> *Arguments supporting:*
>
>    - Extremely widely used, and much on-line work in Chinese happens in
>    Pinyin, not in ideographic characters.
>    - Proponents state (I cannot confirm) that there are many people who
>    are "illiterate" in Chinese, not having mastered 3000 characters, who can
>    potentially contribute to such a project. If so, that is closer to the
>    ideal of creating projects that "anyone can edit".
>

> I would also note that several other Chinese projects use Romanized
> Chinese. (All the min-nan projects are exclusively in Romanized
> languageā€”see Wikipedia here
> <https://zh-min-nan.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A2u-ia%CC%8Dh>; Min Dong
> Wikipedia <https://cdo.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A0u_Hi%C4%95k> has pages
> in both scripts.)
>
> If this project is deemed eligible, I'm pretty sure that it should not be
> coded with "cmn". (I can let it stay that way in Incubator for now, or give
> it a q-code.) Test has 250 mainspace pages, and has been active
> periodically. Last period of substantial activity was during summer 2017.
>
> I am going to hold back my opinion on this just yet.

I would support an effort to explore the use of LanguageConverter here (and
for zh-min-nan).  I agree that the language code should not be bare 'cmn'
but should include a script suffix.  BCP47 suggests 'zh-Latn-pinyin' as a
valid code:
http://schneegans.de/lv/?tags=zh-Latn%0D%0Azh-Latn-pinyin%0D%0A&format=text
  --scott