---------- Forwarded message ---------
Von: Ami Keu <amitumi1234amitumi1...@gmail.com>
Date: Mi., 14. Juni 2023 um 23:21 Uhr
Subject: Fwd: A problem of Sylheti Wikipedia and possible soultions
To: <langcom-ow...@lists.wikimedia.org>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ami Keu <amitumi1234amitumi1...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 June, 2023 at 10:05 PM
To: jhs...@wikimedia.no <jhs...@wikimedia.no>

Hi Jon,
I don't know if this is the correct email to write this.

Thank you for initiating approval for Sylheti Wikipedia
https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/langcom@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/TKDRS64F5NW2BQBCT4LNNKYV3GMSPVRH/

I would like to point out one thing. Langcom should be aware that Sylheti
wikipedia uses sylheti nagri script. And not many sylheti people can
actually read or write this script. Most sylheti uses Bengali alphabet to
write sylheti (also see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sylhetis#Sylheti_nagri_script )

I can see there is a discussion about this on sylheti wikipedia:
https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wp/syl/ꠝꠥꠟ_ꠚꠣꠔꠣ#আমার_সামান্য_এক_পর্যবেক্ষণ_(ꠝꠞ_ꠔꠥꠞꠣ_ꠇꠤꠀꠟ)
where a sylheti pointed out that there is an organization did a survey and
found out only 12-25 thousands people can actually write or read this
script.

There are c. 10.3 millions sylheti, which means sylheti wikipedia will be
un-accessible for vast majority of sylheti.

There is also pointed out that possible solutions would be lang converter
like some wiki has. I would request langcom to create or ask developer to
create a lang converter for sylheti wikipedia. Mapping already exists, see
https://github.com/mayeenulislam/nagri-bangla

Thank you.