2013/10/16 Daniel Naber <list2...@danielnaber.de>

> Hi,
>
> although I think I understand the technical details of unification, I'm
> not sure how/why it is used in grammar.xml. For example, if a sequence
> of words share the same gender and number, that means there's agreement,
> so you cannot use that to write an error rule. So is unification just
> used to avoid false alarms in rules that are not related to agreement at
> all?

Hi, Daniel.

In some cases, unification is used, as you say, in rules not related to
agreement, just to make sure the context is the expected one, to avoid
false alarms. In rules related to agreement, the common use is probably
<unify negate="yes">, so you can find non-agreement in words that should
agree, ex. determinant+noun, determinant+nou+adjective, etc. That's so in
Catalan. In other Latin languages should be the same, if used.

Jaume