On Monday 27 October 2003 10:37 pm, Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  1.
>
>  I currently have a 128kbps cable link to the internet..and I'm sharing
>  this connection with others.

<snip>

>  I have the same problem with a htb script on an adsl connection (with
>  the htb script I get ping response times of 80-90..without it I get
>  200-300 ms...but these response times aren't very stable..it's
> something
>  like I'm getting 40 ms..then 100 ms..then 50 ms..)

I am a newbie and don't yet fully understand the HTB stuff, but have
experimented with others scripts/programs and thought about QOS for
latency - which is what I will be aiming for when my home network is
eventually finished.

With an uplink of 128000 and MTU 1500 then you would expect this behavior
as a 1500 byte packet will take >90ms to get up the wire. Reducing MTU
should help, also quantum/burst should be small enough to release only one
packet - I notice some big quantums in your other mail. I don't know about
cable, but with dsl some MTUs are more efficient than others - which are
best depends on whether your dsl uses pppoa or pppoe etc.

Andy.