On Monday 24 November 2003  7:35 am, Defekt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using traffic shaping on my home 1.5M/256K ADSL connection. The
> problem I'm running into is even when I'm shaping upload traffic (web
> server/p2p etc...) I run into latency issues with online gaming. This is
> of course due to the 256Kb upload and the 1492 MTU (PPPoE) which means a
> single large packet will take up to 40ms to transfer.
>
> What I would like to do is reduce the MSS for low priority traffic using
> ipchains based on a fwmark value. Is it possible to do this?
>
> Appreciate any other suggestions to solve this problem.

One thing to consider - assuming things are the same in your country as
mine, is that DSL modems are atm devices an send whole 53 byte cells. So
MTU = x+1 may send 53 bytes more than MTU = x, so choose carefully. I
can't tell you exactly how to see what is right for you as I use pppoa, I
think the overhead on pppoe is either 32 or 40 bytes, so you would find an
MTU (MSS+40) add say 32 then divide by 48 (as each 53 byte cell carries 48
data) and change MTU until you get a whole number.

If you can get your modem to give you a cell count you could test what the
correct pppoe overhead is with ping -s x you could change x until the cell
counter varied by 1 between x and x+1. If the overhead is 32 then ping -s
36 should send 2 cells (36 data + 8 ICMP + 20 IP +32 PPP = 96) & 37 three,
s = 28 for two cells / 29 for three if it's 40.

Andy.

Andy.