Martin A. Brown wrote:

Greetings all,

Working in concert with the original authors, Klaus Rechert and Patrick McHardy, I have translated their article "HFSC Scheduling mit Linux" [0] on Hierarchical Fair Service Curve (HFSC) into English [1].

Thanks Martin.

   http://linux-ip.net/tc/hfsc.en/

I don't claim to totally get hfsc and don't actually use it yet because until recently I only had 288kbit upstream at atm level, which doesn't leave enough to split 4/5 users equally. I have 448 now so will use it soon, especially if there is going to be a proper atm overhead accounting.

I did in the past test a 4/5 way equal user setup and what I saw makes me curious why all the classes in the example are sc.

From the tests I did the nice thing about hfsc is that you can have 5 backlogged ls classes and still only add jitter from the transmit time of one mtu packet. HTB will add 5x in this case but it's jitter and you can skew the average a bit.

5 backlogged/near rate rt with MTU sized packets = 5x jitter with hfsc so rt really needs to be uses carefully ?

Of course I havent re tested - it may have been because the ls each had very small rates but could borrow.

Andy.