> One trick that I know they're using is deferred instantiation of views.  The
> application is initializing its views while you're typing your login name.

Definitely.


> Another that data is paged in on demand.  

Very definitely.  We also take deliberate steps to be sure that initial 
data loads in a certain order -- for instance, we load message headers 
before we load the address book.


> I know that Laszlo Studios rewrites slow code to avoid the constraint 
> mechanism.  Instead of writing <view id="foo" x="${parent.something}" 
> y="${parent.something}">, they'll write the code that changes 
> parent.something to update foo's x and y instead, replacing several 
> function calls and loops through the constraint system by one function 
> call.  I don't know whether Laszlo Mail uses this optimization, or uses 
> it much.

Yah, we did that too -- there are some pieces of the app with a lot of 
views that were originally constrained like crazy.  It made operations,
like resizing the contact panel, pretty stuttery.  Rethinking all those 
constraints to minimize them and do some programatically by hand really 
helped.


> Another (skanky) tip that I don't know whether they use is to replace 
> object.setAttribute('name', value) by object.name = value, avoiding a 
> function call and the event system.

We try to avoid that one.  :)



gse
_______________________________________________
Laszlo-user mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.openlaszlo.org/mailman/listinfo/laszlo-user

Reply via email to