Użytkownik Ross Moore napisał:

[...]
You have the choice of using {equation} of {displaymath}
environments, if you want a single column, with/out numbering.

The problem was that I was not the author of this LaTeX document. Personally I try not to use eqnarray if I do not have to. The smae with some structures, like \matrix{} instead of \begin{matrix} \end{matrix}.

Hope this helps,

Yes, thank you. Especially \usepackage{amsmath} (I haven't found this in documentation, I tried to find some command line options, and didn't know, that some processing can be influenced by \usepackage{}).

Thanks for your hints,
Mirek