Hello Andrea,

On 24/05/2004, at 1:47 AM, Andrea Benazzo wrote:

Hi everyone, I am using latex2html since last week, and I've just figured out
this bad thing:

whenever I need to use the "" simbols in LaTeX, I use the combination of
``text'', so that in the PDF the result is "text".

while I translate the tex file with latex2html, in the resulting html files, I
get back ``text''.

this is not a good thing, n I noticed that even on the documentantion online
there's the same problem.

Some browsers show this combination nicely --- unfortunately, not all do so.

Have you tried setting the variable: $USE_CURLY_QUOTES = 1; within the .latex2html-init file ?

Be warned that not all browsers may show the resulting special entities properly
--- that's why this isn't the default.

I've already looked at the config file, but I did not manage to find something
useful for this.

Try something like:

   grep QUOTE `which latex2html`

to see the names of possible relevant variables.

somebody already solved it?

2° thing: in my LaTeX files, I often use ArabTeX so that I may write even into
Arabic with no real problem. unfortunately every non-standard package is
ignored by latex2html. Is there a way to force it to use that package with
all the related fonts, counting also the fact that Arabic words are written
from right to left?

LaTeX2HTML is *not* based on a TeX engine, so using there's no way to make those packages work. The logic needs to be recoded using Perl.

Have you tried using the Omega variant of TeX ?
That should give you HTML with Unicode.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps,

        Ross Moore