Hi Bob,

On 28/10/2005, at 10:07 AM, Bob van der Poel wrote:

I think I had and solved this one before ... but I'm no Perl expert ... but, after "upgrading" my linux installation I'm getting a bunch of errors.

When converting images I get:

pstoimg: Error: "/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 < /var/tmp/l2h31773/ p31811.pnm | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans 'gray85' > img1.png" failed: Bad file descriptor

Run a job with  -debug .
This will leave all the temporary files in the location where
image processing takes place.
 (e.g., in  /var/tmp/l2h31773  on the run you show here.)

Next,  cd  to that tmp/ subdirectory.

Break up the pipe into single commands:

e.g.
  /usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 < /p31811.pnm  > test.pnm
  /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans 'gray85'  < test.pnm  > test.png

Which one fails ?

Error while converting image

over and over ...

I have checked to make sure I have the prerequisites ... I did not have perldoc (A Mandriva Powerpack 2006 install), but that is there now.

bob$ which perldoc ppmquant pnmtopng
/usr/bin/perldoc
/usr/bin/ppmquant
/usr/bin/pnmtopng

Also, I've tried to run as root and get the same errors, so I'm pretty sure it's not a permission error.

I recently debugged a problem with  ppmquant  for Sun Solaris.
(Actually it was  pnmremap  which is called by  ppmquant .)

The problem was solved by recompiling  pnmremap  without optimization.

Perhaps you are having a similar problem under Linux.
Please report back what you find.

I think there is a problem with pstoimg or some other part of the image conversion chain. Is there a command test I can do to trace it down?

See above.

Thanks.

Hope this helps,

    Ross

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://mypage.uniserve.com/~bvdp

Ross Moore                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]