This is a repeat of two of my postings, only now in a plain-text format, following the advice of someone apparently on the LaTeX2HTML e-mailing list. Trying to obtain the plain-text format in a Hotmail, e-mail account, I failed in one Web browser, but succeeded in Internet Explorer 6; sorry for any difficulties I may have caused anyone by my not using plain text in my previous postings.

Hello.  With LaTeX2HTML 2002 and Netpbm 10.25-2 I had some unwanted, black borders around some Portable/Public-Network-Graphics (PNG) image files containing mathematical expressions.  But I noticed that I am not using the latest version of LaTeX2HTML.  So I am hoping that the problem I faced could be solved by upgrading to the latest version of LaTeX2HTML in December of the year 2005, which I think is LaTeX2HTML 2002-2-1, right?  Perhaps also upgrading "netpbm-progs" and the RedHat-Package-Manager (.rpm) files to version 10.28-1, with what they require, from version 10.25-2 might also be good to try as well.  If these things don't eliminate the black borders, then I would be hoping that changes like at http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/latex2html/2001-March/001039.html would eliminate them; on the other hand, changes like the ones outlined in that Uniform Resource Locator (URL) might have already been implemented in LaTeX2HTML 2002-2-1, which is a guess of mine which may or may not be correct.

In Fedora, Core-3 Linux with Netpbm 10.25-2 I could not uninstall "netpbm-progs" via clicking the Red Hat and then selecting "Add/Remove Applications," etc.; I think I am supposed to first uninstall LaTeX2HTML 2002, which uses Netbpm.  Then presumably netbpm-progs and Netbpm 10.25-2 could be uninstalled and replaced and/or upgraded with more recent versions of them.  So the main question here is how does one uninstall LaTeX2HTML 2002?  I see that this process must involve more than just deleting the directory ../latex2html-2002 because, for example, the LaTeX2HTML-related pstoimg files are in my directories /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin.  Since "make install," where the "make" is probably the GNU "make," might have been what put the pstoimg file(s) in those directories, I imagined a command like "make uninstall" might remove them from those directories; however, ../latex2html-2002/Makefile does not have the word "uninstall" in it. After uninstalling LaTeX2HTML 2002, "netpbm-progs," and Netbpm 10.25-2, I presume that if a netpbm-progs, version-10.28-1 installation file can be found, then first netpbm-progs 10.28-1, the .rpm files for Netpbm 10.25-2, which is required by the .rpm file for Netpbm 10.28-1, and Netpbm 10.28-1 could all be installed (Perhaps "netpbm-progs" will turn out to be available in a .rpm form as well.  It is my impression that Netpbm 10.28-1 and Netpbm 10.25-2 are different from "netpbm progs.").  Then if all of that is successful, I suppose that the installation of LaTeX2HTML 2002-2-1 would probably be very similar to what I went through to install LaTeX2HTML 2002 onto my computer's hard drive.

Alternatively is it also possible to upgrade LaTeX2HTML without first uninstalling the older version of it?  If so, how is that done?  For example, do old versions of files of the same names get overwritten in all cases when trying to install a new version over an existing version of LaTeX2HTML?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat

Pat's follow-up posting:

I have been using LaTeX2HTML 2002, "netbpm-progs," and Netpbm 10.25-2 in a Fedora, Core-3-Linux operating system.  My downloaded, LaTeX2HTML file was the latex2html-2002.tar.gz, installation file obtained by clicking on hyperlinks within the Web site http://www.latex2html.org/.  After installation from within the file .../latex2html-2002/config.log I noticed that executable files would be or were installed in the directory /usr/local/bin and library items would be or were installed in the directory /usr/local/share/lib/latex2html.  I found those directories on my computer and decided that their contents appeared to be 100-percent of LaTeX2HTML content.  So a way I can see to go about completely uninstaling the program LaTeX2HTML 2002 that I installed from the downloaded file latex2html-2002.tar.gz would be to delete all of the files that were installed in that LaTeX2HTML installation.  Up to now, as far as I know, this includes only the directories ../latex2html-2002, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/lib/latex2html, and the pstoimg file in the directory /usr/bin.  I did not make any LaTeX2HTML-related changes among my Fedora, Core-3-Linux environment variables.  Is there any other LaTeX2HTML directory or file that would have to be deleted in order to completely uninstall LaTeX2HTML 2002 from my computer?  In other words, am I missing some other files and/or directories that could have been formed or copied to my computer as a result of the commands "./config," "make," "make check," "make test," and "make install?"  Naturally deleting the directory ../latex2html-2002 would also delete all of its subdirectories and their contents, which I guess would include all of the files generated by the command "make test."  Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Pat