Hi Roland,

I just fixed this for someone else (leaving equation-image ALT text complete instead of shortening it), and it was easy. In the latex2html script, I simply changed

    if ( length($alt) > 163 ) {

    if ( $ALTMAXLENGTH && length($alt) > $ALTMAXLENGTH-2 ) {

where I left $ALTMAXLENGTH undefined (for now), but implemented support for it.

Note, however, that there is a comment in the code saying that large ALT texts can "upset the DBM". I am planning to try to fix this when it bites, but so far I don't think it has. Maybe AnyDBM_File has evolved forward since that comment was written? (Fingers crossed...)

This change is in my personal fork of l2h which can be found at

https://github.com/josmithiii/l2hmj

This is a merge of the l2h versions I know about, plus my own bugfixes, and where I plan to implement SIMPLE_MATH using MathJax when I have time to work on it. Codevelopers welcome!

- Julius