"Scott Hannahs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Opening diagram extends over about 7 screens horizontally and 6 screens vertically
>(1600X1200 pixel screens).  Ok, bad enough, now open the hierarchy window and I
>see a main VI and about 200 express nodes, that I can't open without converting
>to sub-VIs.  There were 4 actual real non-system subVIs in the whole thing with
>main VI using about 12 Mb of disk space.
>
>Unfortunately the programmer had hardwired the path separation character so it
>failed on all platforms except the development one.  The character was in 26
>different places and each place was wired into somewhere between 1 and a dozen
>string building functions.

Sounds almost like another system I had the "joy" to upgrade to the newest
LabVIEW verson lately. The original programmer was a seasoned C programmer
with little to no knowlegde about LabVIEW. Lots of globals and locals all
around, four cascaded state machines all in the main VI and implemented as
a case structure with around 100 states each, sequentialized in a sequence
structure even though only one state machine could be active at the same
time as they were all dependant on the same state variable which of course
was a local too, as shift registers are just to darn sophisticated.
The main VI was around 10MB and all the subVIs (maybe around 100) together
were less than that. Opening the diagram on the original computer, an
industrial computer of some two years ago took 20 or more seconds before
it would show up! I was tempted to throw it all away but as the state
machines itself represented the entiere process intelligence of the
system with little or no documentation besides of the LabVIEW diagram
I reconstructed the system from there with each sub state machine in
its own subVI and removing as many globals and locals as possible.

After some four weeks of programming it is now in the final testing fase
and seems to work as originally intended with a few quirks removed and
optimizations in place.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Nederland BV    tel: +31 (070) 415 9190
Treubstraat 7H                           fax: +31 (070) 415 9191
2288 EG Rijswijk        http://www.citengineering.com
Netherlands             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]