One other detail to think about.

Are you intending to use this code for internal use only?  If so, then why
should anyone care how you get your code?  I work for a large defense
contractor as well, and no one seems to mind as long as I get the job done and
actually have all the source.  (although perhaps mine is a case of "It's
easier to ask forgiveness than get permission."  ;)

If you are using it for a deliverable product, then it will ultimately come
down to the attitude of the people who make these decisions.  Rather than
looking for a way to accomplish something, they will often look for all the
reasons it CAN'T be accomplished.  Too often, the mentality at large defense
contractors is to 'er on the side of caution'  -  usually to the point of
paranoia.  And heaven forbid you should ever want to do something different
than the way it was done before!  (I could go on)

Anyway, good luck in your effort!

John Howard
Test Engineer
"A Large Defense Contractor"

>>> Jim Kring 04/14/04 08:11PM >>>
 > You get what you pay for; if it's cheap or free it's crap.

And some opinions fit into that category too, but it is best not to
generalize ;-)

One should always perform an evaluation of the tools (and advice) they
are going to use, prior to using them.  If they meet your standards and
requirements then go for it.  If not, you can always throw money at your
problems (and pay someone to invent you a wheel).  Largely, the price
you pay for Open Source software is the time that it takes you to
evaluate, learn how to use, and participate in the development of the
software -- in that respect Open Source software is not free.  But if
you don't pay that price, then... (sometimes) you get what you pay for.

Regards,

-Jim

PS - Have you read your NI Software License Agreement lately?  Is your
application authorized and will it be authorized tomorrow?  OK, gotta
run... I hear the helicopters circling :-))