"Mihai Costache" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<long explanation snipped>

>It's all very nice, except it takes 20 minutes (Pentium III 800MHz Win2K
>LV7.1)!
>I then replace the FOR loop with a formula node and inside that a workmate
>of mine writes the corresponding C code to do exactly the same job.
>Now it takes 10 seconds!
>Is LabVIEW really worthwhile, or do we all need to go back to basics and
>learn C?

Can you provide a VI somewhere where you show what you are doing? Your
explanation is a little difficult to imagine (not your fault as such things
are hard to describe at any rate) but I'm sure there are possibilities to
actually do that perfectly fast in LabVIEW only, possibly beating even the
formula node.

The problem is not that LabVIEW is so bad, but rather that it takes so much
work from you in such situations that you don't worry about optimal algorithmes
in the first place and when you do, it is sometimes hard to see the optimal
solution.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Nederland BV    tel: +31 (070) 415 9190
Treubstraat 7H                  fax: +31 (070) 415 9191
2288 EG Rijswijk        http://www.citengineering.com
Netherlands             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]