Hi Fpc/Lazarus users,

This memory measurements are biased.

Most of the memory usage in your application is not the application itself, is
about the system libraries that are loaded. For instance, at the moment he
point the memory usage of 28 M for a MessageBox, was the moment when the entire
application was loaded, was loaded yet DLLs for processing XMLs (via System.XML
.NET namespace) and Windows.Forms code. Take from yourself and run the tests.
In normal case, at the same tasks, .NET should have an overhead (test by
yourself) as calling system libraries.

In my default application launch (remember this is about a pre-alpha/preview
release) there is: 8 M memory usage (Vista 32 bits, not 64, if someone as
Florian sow that the application requires more RAM in 64 bit .NET runtime
against 32 bit Lazarus) against 10M that has Lazarus.

The single issue that I wanted to point it out is that: if you take a console
application in .NET (which mainly loads only kernel32.dll  and mscorlib.dll -
the VM of the .NET on Windows) the usage will be much lower yet similar with a
FPC one (a bit more cause of mscorlib.dll). If you take that memory is not
freed at once (excluding if you program using IDisposable) because of GC, in a
well crafted benchmark, always will make a .NET application to use more than a
Lazarus one.

But, if you consider that .NET 3.0 (Pasic requires 2.0) is a part of Windows
VIsta, Mono is a part of two major distros (Ubuntu as a part of GNOME, and Suse
that are teamed with Novell team that makes Mono), you may consider that
distributing a .NET application is not such a big issue and there is not a
requirement for download.

Considering that .NET/Mono gives to you not experiental generics, offers to you
all that FreePascal have as runtime, but in some respects even more, it makes a
better choice for an IDE to use it.

So, do it by yourself. Anyway, the scope of the today preview was to show how
it will be about and you are very welcome to feedback any oppinions. One last
issue, if you wil look in code, that many dialogs are kept in RAM, only for one
reason, is faster a Show than to create a dialog from scratch. For a devel
machine that is not an issue.

If you consider that have memory leaks or it use too many memory, please fill a
bug report and give a real feedback (which files gives to you that usage!?),
not creating FUD against something that is not Lazarus. Regarding the dialog
that is used to render text, is the default TextEdit dialog that offers .NET.
There was an initial try to use SharpDevelop Syntax Highlighter (similar with
SynEdit) but it does not work on Linux, so for now is deffered until will be
fixed to work on Linux or another highligher will be implemented.

Thank you again for your feedback,
The PasicIde team

 Search for all things and keep only what is good.