Now that I learned the word "initialization section", I could google for it, and what's going on behind the screens is no longer murky. Thanks again. I even found the heaptrc documentation <https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/index.html> and in it the "dumpheap" procedure, which means I can follow heap usage throughout my program, without any interference from "halt".
--Problem solved--.
wolf