On 15.08.2017 11:52, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
This cannot be solved properly except by duplicating the classes unit.

Sorry to disagree, but IMHO this can only be solved properly by defining an additional fully dynamically encoded string type and use same for TStrings (see -> http://wiki.freepascal.org/not_Delphi_compatible_enhancement_for_Unicode_Support )

But I am perfectly aware that implementing this would be a huge effort (see other mail here), and nobody i entitled to ask for this. (I wrote the article just to elaborate what was discussed in the fpc mailing list at that time.)

-Michael