Op 2019-04-11 om 22:03 schreef Bo Berglund via lazarus:
1) When I enter a file name as ~/Videos/input.mp4 then FileExists()
reports that the file does not exist even though I can clearly see it.
If I instead use /home/user/Videos/input.mp4 then it will see it
properly. Same if I use the syntax ./filename.mp4 when the file is in
the current dir.
Why does FileExists() not recognize ~ as shorthand for the home dir?
It is rather inconvenient to be forced to use the longer paths...

Because expanding ~ happens on the shell level, and programs usually don't see it (they get their parameters already substituted). If they use ~ and other shell modifiers themselves, e.g. in configuration, it is the programmer's responsibility to do substitutions he likes to support.

2) Another issue concerns the parsing of command line parameters.
Originally I had set it up to use ; as separator for the two time
values of a clip, starttime and duration (in seconds) as follows:
t1234;500 for a duration 500 s clip starting at 1234 s into the source
video.
But for some reason the ParamCount variable contains 3 when the
command line looks like this:

Here also, the shell does parameter separation on *nix, and the program receives an array.