On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 17:44:20 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus
<lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>On 21/06/2020 6:18 am, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>> Is it possible to switch Lazarus between using fpc 3.0.4 and 3.2.0 so
>> as to compare the two easily?
>
>Yes. There is no need for duplicate Lazarus installs. Simply have 2 or
>more FPC versions installed. I believe the build modes would help switch
>between the two.

Still I seem not to understand this...
I do have two fpc versions installed (3.0.4 and 3.2.0).

But I cannot find any setting for compiler in
Project/Project_Options/Compiler_Options/Build_Modes
I only see these items there:
- Other unit files
- Include files
- Libraries
- Unit output directory
- Target file name
- Apply conventions (a checkbox)
- Other sorces
- Debugger path addition

And now I have installed Lazarus 2.0.10 and it *requires* fpc 3.2.0 in
order to be able to install packages etc (rebuilding itself).
So I have set Lazarus 2.0.10 to use the newly installed fpc 3.2.0.

Does this mean that I also have to build all my projects using fpc
3.2.0?

Or do I have to create a new Lazarus instance shortcut using a
different pcp directory where I have set the compiler to be 3.0.4?
That would make it impossible to install the packages I need since
such a settings stops Lazarus from rebuilding itself (it needs fpc
3.2.0 for that)

I cannot find any *project level* settings in Lazarus that allows me
to set the compiler to use for the individual project...
(See above about the suggested Build Modes)

So how can I cope with this?
Is it not possible to *easily* switch between two different fpc
versions when building ones project?

How can Lazarus be used for cross-compiling in such a case?
(I never got cross compile to work when I tried it years back, so I
always work on the target platform for that reason)

>Alternatively, MSEide makes this extremely easy, as can be seen in the
>attached screenshot. You can assign shortcuts too, so you don't even
>have to go into the Project Options.

Is MSEide a replacement for Lazarus?
I really do not want to go down the path of learning a new dev tool...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden