I wonder, isn't this somehow related to writing permissions on your system?

I can't help much because I use Windows here, but that's the content of my fppkg.cfg file (located in fpcsrc\utils\fpcmkcfg):

[Defaults]
ConfigVersion=4
LocalRepository=%LocalRepository%
BuildDir={LocalRepository}build/
ArchivesDir={LocalRepository}archives/
CompilerConfigDir=%CompilerConfigDir%
RemoteMirrors=https://www.freepascal.org/repository/mirrors.xml
RemoteRepository=auto
CompilerConfig=default
FPMakeCompilerConfig=default
Downloader=FPC

I installed it using the standard Windows installer.