On Mon, 1 Jan 2024, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 3:36 PM John Landmesser via lazarus <
lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

Is that still true ... ?
Wayland in general has strange issues?!

As LCL binds to widgetsets like QT5 and GTK3, it should depend on those
widgetsets only.
Lazarus IDE also uses LCL and its underlying widgetsets.
I guess other QT5 and GTK3 apps work, thus the problem is in LCL binding
code.
They should be studied and fixed case by case.

I don't think GTK2 should be used with Wayland. GTK2 was made before
Wayland existed.
Do distros that use Wayland by default still include GTK2 applications?

Yes.  They work through the waylaynd X11 client.

The X11 client is needed since there are way(!) too much apps that require X
and which cannot be ported to wayland without major rewrites..

Michael.