On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 10:39:01PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 11/10/2009, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Afaik the hyperlinks are generally ok. However that is in the textmode IDE
> >  that cuts all label information (since the helpsystem abstraction doesn't
> >  deal with labels)
>
> No, I was using GnoCHM under Linux.

Oh, I always skip that one. Took 40 seconds to open the LCL, and I never
tried again.

> All headings are hyperlinks (eg: 3.4 Pointers), but they seem to be
> pointing to themselves. So quite pointless being hyperlinks.

Still yes. That is a minor problem of the html converter I guess.

Maybe it can be made of use, e.g. convert them into alinks when they are
supported. Then such "pointers" link will refer to all "pointers" keywords
by means of a popup. Across helpfiles.

> > Because LaTeX is more than simple markup. Afaik LaTeX is Turing complete,
> >  and thus more a programming language.
>
> Hey, programming languages are parsed, so LaTeX should be too. ;-)

Parsing in the direction they are meant, or translating to a different
abstraction is hard.

A C preprocessor can parse header files, but without knowing the usage of
the header, I can't even guess the meaning of some stuff there (and that is
fundamental, not lack of C knowledge!)

> So far I can parse and convert some basic latex files
                                      ^^^^^

If you sufficiently dumb things down, there are never any problems:-) But
that is not the problem in the case of latex->html conversion. That was the
general case.

> and produce relatively ok looking INF help from them. As soon as I added
> more lookup rules, I'll attempt the more complex latex files like ref.tex

We'll see what you come up with. When can we expect something?