Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Rigel Rig wrote:
Delphi in 2011 will be on a Linux and Mac, and very rarely Delphi
programmer will go to Lazarus.

I very much agree! Lazarus v1.0 non-beta <wink> must be out before
Delphi has cross-platform support. The advantage of Lazarus over Delphi
will seriously diminish after that.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

I think , it is not necessary to have so much fear because my expectation is that Delphi will not be able to compile any Windows application directly to Linux or Mac natively . Using Mono is not a cross platform development and it is not a new service because it is already possible to use it .

You may remember Kylix .

When I assumed that I would compile a Delphi program with Open Kylix , my biggest surprise was the error message about

 < missing unit : Windows > .

Then , my suggestion : Do NOT worry on this subject .

Actually , the most severe problem of Lazarus is its dependence on external libraries for user interface . A native widget set is the most urgent problem to obtain stability . My idea is the necessity of dropping GTK and Windows dependency and switching to a manageable ( by the Lazarus developers team ) widget set such as fpGUI as default when it is usable in all platforms . Another step may be : Take GTK and all of its dependents and supply to these to users with new names to prevent confusion with other installed GTK libraries , and pursue user interface on this adopted and maintained ( by the Lazarus developers team ) GTK fork .

I am using 2008 May ( trunk ) FPC 2.3.1 and corresponding Lazarus on Windows XP .

When I tried FPC 2.2.4 with its corresponding Lazarus , it gave me an empty form without any component . Then I reverted to back . Later on ,
I read similar complaints in some messages by other users .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk