Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Florian Klaempfl wrote:

Years of experience with fpc showed that very few people are testing
such branches. Even rcs aren't intensively tested, just look at the
resource trouble with fpc 2.4.0

Not to get into all that again (you can read the archives), but SubVersion
doesn't lend itself to easily using branches. So I don't think the problem
is the lack of developers wanting to test new features in other branches,
but rather the effort (and time) forced by the repository system used. I
simply don't have the time to wait 5 minutes for a new branch to be checked
out, to simply find it totally useless, and then wait another 5 minutes to
checkout out the previous branch I was using. Not everybody has super fast
internet or uncapped bandwidth - which such testing with SubVersion would
require.

I didn't have that experience when I was developing graphics in a separate lcl branch. I can't remember how I did it, but it was just one simple svn statement and a few secs waiting.

Marc