On 23/07/10 13:01, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:05:51 -0400
waldo kitty<wkitt...@windstream.net>  wrote:

yes, i understand what you are saying however, remember that the point i'm
coming from is from that of the "average joe coder" who has no need of
understanding all the deep intricacies of everything...

Now seriously.
There are many much smarter people on this list than me. I am doing pascal
coding only as a hobby. I don't have any programming/computer related degree. I
don't understand all and everything of building a cross-compiler, but it only
took me about 2 hours from not knowing where to start to a working
cross-compiler.
If that is to much for "average joe coder" then perhaps "average joe coder"
should really switch to something like Java.
Building a cross-compiler is not that hard. It takes some dedication and time. But it
looks likes people are just lazy. Don't want to know, don't want to learn, always crying:
"Give me the ready made stuff!"
To me this sounds like the attitude of an end user and not that of a coder.
No offence ment, but I really don't get it. We are coders after all. Learning
and understanding makes a great part of this. Even learning stuff that you
maybe don't need that often or ever again.
Anyone interested in my CP/M knowledge? No? Thought so.
Again, I don't believe that I am much smarter than "joe". So if I can do it, he
can do it, too.
I really don't want to offend anyone, I just don't understand this attitude. If
you call yourself a coder, regardless of skill, setting up your environment is
your task. And you have documentation and a great community that helps. What do
you need more?
Yes, sometimes it sucks, that things are a little complicated but such is life.

I really agree with this. Programmers should be able to feed themselves, not relying on others to spoon-feed them. If people don't want to learn, perhaps they shouldn't be programmers in the first place.

Henry