On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Michael Schnell wrote:

On 09/15/2010 10:48 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

Threads are a thing of the past as well. I've been programming threads since years.
There is nothing exciting about them, mostly they are a pain.
OK, but

how do you make a program that is able to non sluggishly communicate with the user while performing decent work (without doing performance-killing polling stuff like "process Messages") ?

What is so performance killing about process messages ?

What do you think the OS does when switching threads ? A thread switch is much more expensive than a "process messages".

how do you make a program doing huge calculations use multiple CPUs which are the contrary of "of the past" ?

I didn't claim to have a better solution. I just observed that the very idea of threads is basically flawed.

These are not my words, but the conclusion of scientific research on the
subject.

Michael.