Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovations in Free Pascal/Lazarus. However,
in this particular case, I don't think the "multiple transactions per
connection" approach, supported only by selected databases, is the best
solution. IMHO it should be an option, not the only imposed way.

I've tried to use sqldb but it adds too much unneeded overhead. Under
PostgreSQL it actually locks the tables for DDL modifications by default,
rendering the development machines ridden with "IDLE in transaction"
connections while the apps are running, even for mere SELECT's. In these
machines, it's normal to add columns and constraints to tables while people
are coding and testing. To create a simple FK constraint I would need to
kill all connections or ask to everybody stop working -- otherwise the
CREATE CONSTRAINT will wait several seconds/minutes while the SELECT's are
being made. If someone is programming an yearly report that takes one minute
to run, everybody has to wait.

That's why I moved to Zeos.

2010/11/26 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.li...@gmail.com>

> Op 2010-11-25 18:29, michael.vancann...@xxxxx het geskryf:
> >
> > Not everything Borland does is good by definition :-)
>
> In you subconscious you should have known I was going to reply to a
> statement like that. The temptation is just too much for me to resist. :)
> All I can say is:
>
>  Thank goodness!!! Now spread the word. ;-)
>

> If I wanted 100% Delphi, I would simply have stayed with Delphi. Free
> Pascal (and Lazarus) are mature enough to innovate on their own. Take you
> strengths and run with it! Stop being held back by commercial software that
> is only driven by money and what Microsoft preaches.
>
> Regards,
>  - Graeme -
>
> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
>

> --

Atenciosamente,
Alexsander da Rosa
Linux User #113925

"Extremismo na defesa da liberdade não é defeito.
Moderação na busca por justiça não é virtude."
-- Barry Goldwater