José Mejuto schrieb:

MS> Regarding sending, there still is a FiFo (usually some 4..64  Bytes ) in
MS> the serial hardware (hundreds or thousands of bytes) and a software Fifo
MS> in the OS driver. So the software can't tell when something has left the
MS> serial port. For such deeply embedded issues  the specifics of the
MS> driver and hardware needs to be considered

AFAIK the FIFO is in the receive, in sent the FIFOs are filled but
function does not return until the hardware sends the last byte.

I'm not sure, but IMO a FIFO for outgoing data is used at best in a *synchronous* protocol, not in a UART. More likely synchronous I/O is done by DMA, not in code. But which nowadays hardware is capable of synchronous serial transmission at all?

DoDi