Hi Sven & all,

> Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 22:06:55 +0200
> From: pascaldra...@googlemail.com
> To: lazarus@lists.lazarus.freepascal.org
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] Error: Generics without specialization cannot be used
> as a type for a variable
>
> On 06.05.2011 17:58, Peter Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Options changed, recompiling clean with -B
> > Hint: Start of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg
> > Hint: End of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg
> > Free Pascal Compiler version 2.4.2-0 [2010/11/11] for i386
> > Copyright (c) 1993-2010 by Florian Klaempfl
> > Target OS: Linux for i386
> > Compiling island_maker.lpr
> > Compiling unit1.pas
> > unit1.pas(144,19) Error: Generics without specialization cannot be used
> > as a type for a variable
> > unit1.pas(152,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
> >
> > http://62.166.198.202/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=18101
> >
> > (0043710)
> > Florian Klämpfl (administrator)
> > 2010-11-29 10:47
> >
> >     Please use always the latest release compiler (2.4.2) as starting
> > compiler to build a new fpc.
> >

> > NB - I am using FPC 2.4.2.
> >
> > type
> > Terrain_type = (Land, Sea);
> >
> > exit_type = array[ directions ] of integer;
> >
> > description_type = array[1..2] of string;
> >
> > Tmap_detail = Object
> > FTerrain : Terrain_type;
> > FTerrain_char : char;
> > Fdescription : description_type;
> > Fx, Fy, Flocation_number : integer;
> > Fexits : exit_type;
> > end;
> >
> > // The Island class definition
> > Generic TIsland<T> = class
> > Items : array of Tmap_detail;
> > public
> > constructor Create(AList: TList);: [Lazarus] dtm_maker project compile
> > errors with TList code.
> > procedure Add( Value : Tmap_detail );
> > end;
> > var
> > Form1: TForm1;
> > Island : TIsland; // line 144
> >
> > Unit1.pas >>> http://pastebin.com/wuEft4Kb
>
> Why do you declare TIsland as a generic if you don't use the type "T"
> anywhere?
>
> Nevertheless, you need to declare a specialized type of a generic, so
> you're able to use it.
>
> Example:
>
> type
>    TIntegerIsland = specialize TIsland<Integer>;
>
> var
>    Island: TIntegerIsland;
> (...)
Okay, except that Island is not meant to be an integer. See here:
line 88Tmap_detail = Object                 FTerrain : Terrain_type;
     FTerrain_char : char;                 Fdescription : description_type;
            Fx, Fy, Flocation_number : integer;                 Fexits :
exit_type;               end;   // The Island class definition  Generic
TIsland<T> = class      Items : array of Tmap_detail;    public    constructor
Create(AList: TList);    procedure Add( Value : Tmap_detail );  end;
So, as you can see, I am trying to define a Generic (or possibly a Specialize)
of type: an array of Tmap_detail. How do I correctly define this???
The reason why I am choosing a Generic or Specialize is so that I have accept
to the "Sort" procedure of TList. I am not sure if I am doing this correctly.
Best Regards,Peter