Is there an easy way of setting columns to a different background and/or foreground colour?

I've got two synedits, one in a main window with "music ruled" coloured lines and a small one above it numbered for columns, provided that the fount etc. is the same the relative positioning is correct. I'd like to be able to highlight header columns to mark tab positions, it's safe to assume that all visible character positions will contain a digit or a space.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk