Henry Vermaak wrote:
On 27/02/12 11:34, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Henry Vermaak wrote:
On 27/02/12 11:13, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
The reason it didn't work as expected might have been because the
insertion of otherwise-unrecognised devices in /dev/usb is a
comparatively recent feature. Checking, it's not in 2.6.18 (Debian Etch) but is in 2.6.32 (Debian Lenny). Allow for a few kernel steppings for it
to actually /work/ :-)

The wiki page says it will work as far back as 2.6.13. Before then,
"hotplug" was used, but don't ask me how that worked :)

It might be in 2.6.13, but testing on a Debian SPARC Etch with 2.6.18
didn't so it might not have been enabled as standard until later.

That's probably the case.  They are quite conservative with new features!

:-) Testing on a SPARC Debian Lenny similarly didn't show /dev/usb etc, so it's probably architecture-specific. I've not checked an ARM system- I've got no spare real (i.e. as distinct from Qemu) ARM hardware at the moment.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk