Marco van de Voort schrieb:
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 06:39:38PM -0200, Marcos Douglas wrote:
If we continue to follow Delphi, means that we are always one step behind.

If we stop following delphi, we are multiple steps behind.

FPC/Lazarus always was in front of Delphi. It had Unicode support (UTF-8) since long, supports multiple widgetsets, platforms and machines. Even the help system and is better and more user friendly, as well as are the editing helpers.

The compatibility problems are selfmade, IMO. Compatibility with all versions of a continuously moving target is near impossible, at least not feasable with the available manpower.

Now that Delphi introduced something really useful (encoded strings and automatic conversion), the new Unicode support should be integrated into FPC and Lazarus. When this works for the AnsiString version (UTF-8), somewhat compatible with D7, a UnicodeString (UTF-16) version can be considered, compatible with some newer Delphi version.

DoDi